Wednesday, April 21, 2010

1 month?!

Where did the TIME go!??

I can't believe exactly 1 month ago I arrived in Madrid about to start this massive adventure. There's no words to describe it, but it's astounding and surreal...!
Tuesday we had a final so class was canceled. Molly, Judy, and I celebrated by making the most amazing fajitas in ALL of Spain! We were craaaaving Cali-Mex food, so I made my legendary guacamole (all the fixings included!) and we grilled/sauteed veggies and chicken... I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it! The sangria added the perfect touch, as well as the tiramisu ice cream we ate after! I've been in a food coma ever since, no joke.
Went out later to meet up with some Madrileños for a drink. A friend in my program, Sara, met these friends at an intercambio the week before (it's a semi-organized exchange for internationals and locals to practice language skills at a bar) and they were so nice and fun to talk to! We're going to meet up with them Friday night in Salamanca, a couple hours outside Madrid heading towards Portugal, and explore the town while we're there. It's supposed to be like Davis, only Spanish style. It's where tons of students study (the oldest university in Spain!) and has an old village vibe mixed with a youthful atmosphere. Katie, my TA, is also coming along so I'm excited for that day to unfold!
Today my 1st graders were pretty good for the first 3/4 of my time with them; they took a test and I called them one-by-one to read a storybook aloud and help them with pronunciation. Things were fine until poor Pedro with tears rolling down his face told us that he peed his pants, of COURSE causing hysteria and chaos to break out. The teacher left ME with the remaining 6 year-olds (27 of them!) while she took him to the nurse! Just a FEW problems with that: they don't see me as a "teacher" so I have very little authority, there's a language barrier, and the pee on the floor made the kids go bonkers with the giggles! I eventually had to sharply scold a couple, ring the big bell on her desk, and then I came up with the brilliant idea to write names on the board of kids who were being good. It worked, for a short while! Then the teacher finally got back and I bolted asap.
Booked my flight to Athens for June, insanely expensive and stressful... I hate money!! I'm deeeeefinitely ready for the weekend... although it won't be much of a rest!

Going dancing tomorrow night at Kapital, the biggest discoteca in Madrid, then to Salamanca for a day and a half. Hopefully we'll get a sunny Saturday for our picnic in Retiro Park (weather permitting), and I have church Sunday morning and a bull-fight that night. (Still not feeling too great about witnessing that cultural experience, but I can blog to y'all later about it.)

Hasta luego,

~Danielle

1 comment:

  1. Busy girl! sounds like your having a blast. And i totally laughed when I read that you were graving cali-mex food. I did the same thing! haha

    Well my weeks go most like this school, work, Haney, study. Repeat. With some fun on Saturdays and babysitting thrown in there :P

    ReplyDelete