Saturday, April 3, 2010

Holy Toledo!

Hola amigos!
I spent yesterday in Toledo, a city about 40 minutes away from Madrid. It was much smaller than we thought from the map, we'd walk what we thought was halfway to a landmark then check and realized we were past it! It was a very medieval city built on a large hill, lots of massive stone and brick structures, monasteries, synagogues, a Visigothic cathedral built in the 1200s, and LOTS of swords. Seriously, this town is sword-obsessed! It was a very relaxed day, even with all the walking up and down, up and down on the cobblestone streets (tripping more than once...!) I think it's funny that as I was exploring I kept thinking "this looks like that one part of Disneyland," how SoCal am I that the REAL DEAL reminds me of the Disney imitation? lol
We saw the cathedral and Museo de Santa Cruz for free (I love free things!) and checked out the amazing views of the river and hillsides around us. I felt an Italian vibe from the surrounding areas, cypress trees and steeples in the distance... Beautiful!
We ended with ice cream and left the city a bit earlier than we thought. We conquered it in 6 hours rather than 8! I call that a successful day. :) Got to talk to my daddy on Skype (woot!) and going to take it easy for a bit. I'm finally getting over my sickness, Hallelujah!

So my Semana Santa was quite packed, travelled quite a bit, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I'm biding my time at home, rationing out my last 3 muffins, tea, peanut butter, and candy until I can go out to a cafe for food! Pretty much all markets and stores are closed this week, so it's been an interesting time scrounging for sustenance. Oh well, I haven't starved yet! :)
Going to have some quiet time in the Word, listen to Josh Groban (that man makes me melt!) do homework, and plan my next travels!

Hasta luego,

~Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment