Friday, April 16, 2010

Volcano, calmate!

Ok, so one proof of how removed from the world is that I had no idea about the massive volcano in Iceland erupting and wreaking havoc on Europe...and I'm IN Europe! that's what happens when you have no tv, computer, and don't care about newspapers...!
I hope it doesn't affect my coming home to the states in early June. I'm not too concerned since it's 2 months away and Athens is in the south of Europe, but if it keeps exploding or more stuff happens in reaction, it's good to be aware/prepare for a plan B.
Wednesday I went to "The Cave," a relaxed, not-too-smokey bar in Moncloa, full of students and empty of tourists. It's known for this milk drink that comes in this big glass/cauldron that everyone drinks from through straws. The milk comes down from the stalagtytes (the creepy icicles looking things in caves) in the ceiling and it's pretty cool!
Thursday I had quite the adventure shopping with Molly. I was trying to follow vague directions from a friend to find a place she called "Chinos" to get cheap boots, so I find the street she mentioned and we start walking up. and up, and up. then I find out there's a Metro stop with the same street name, so we could've just gone further up the Metro instead of walking so much. On our long walk, we stopped in at boutiques along the way, then found a couple stores similar to The Dollar Tree and buy some inexpensive necessities. Molly even found boots at one! We ask 3 people for directions to "Chinos", and are frustrated. Then we decided to just go to another of the cheap stores and then it dawns on Molly that they call these places we've been "chinos" because they are all run by Asian people. We laughed so hard at ourselves because we had been looking for the name of a store and yet we went to 4 of them already...
Friday was nice, I slept decent hours for once (1-9!) and the cleaning lady came so everything's tidy and fresh. Shopped/ran errands with Judy, picked up my new boots (85 E real leather for 35 E!!!), then saw Shutter Island with my roomies Judy and Laura! Met up with friends at "Dubliner's" then wandered around for a while in the rain before calling it a night. I slept most of today, it was drizzly but then got a bit sunny! Had the most amazing donut/pastry thing in the world, and realizing that the bakeries around here will be the death of me!
Tomorrow I'm going to church, a museum, and possibly the park if it's nice weather.

I'm torn right now between being sad that this adventure is 1/3 over, and missing home. I want this excitement to last long than 6 weeks, but I just want a break for like a week to recharge and continue. I guess I can rest/enjoy my family and friends after this chapter of my life, but still wish you all were here!

Hasta luego,
Danielle

3 comments:

  1. Miss you tons. But don't worry about us. Have tons of fun and don't forget to rest and have your quiet times. When I was in Europe often times I just needed some alone time to recharge. We are going to have so much fun when you come home. Just enjoy every moment, soak it all up and enjoy all the little things cuz thats what life is about!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard on the news that Spain is one of the only countries that is still allowing flights out of Europe because it wasnt as affected by the volcano. So lucky u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks!! and yep, i am lucky...! *phew

    ReplyDelete