Thursday, April 1, 2010

Andalucía

(No pictures as of now, my computer is dead and I'm using friends' laptops, but soon I will show you the majesty that is the South of Spain!)

Wow, it was an amazing and fast 3 day trip to Andalucía!

First stop was Granada, 6 hours away, and that was my favorite place of all. It was a quaint place surrounded by hills and gypsy caves and a huuuuge fortress/castle/palace called the Alhambra. We got a tour of the Cathedral (one of the oldest in Spain and with so much gold/white you feel like you're in heaven at points), then walked through the cobblestoned & hilly city, saw the Semana Santa processions throughout the streets, and went to a traditional Flamenco show in a "cave" (a carved out restaurant in the side of a hill)! It was so impressive, the Spanish are such a passionate and dramatic people and their dancing is the same. We enjoyed sangria and their fancy footwork, then went out for the night and I wish that we had been there at least another day. We toured the Alhambra in the morning which was my favorite part of the trip. In one section I would imagine I was Princess Jasmine in my Moorish gardens with the fountains and birds and marble columns, and in another area I was in a labyrinth of cypress trees and expected the mad hatter to run out and invite me to a tea party with Alice, or I'd bump into David Bowie, king of the goblins! :P The views and photos were spectacular and I had so much fun with my friends. I will never forget this city, it was fantastic!!

Second stop on day 2 was Seville, one of the most popular places in all of Spain. We raced through the streets following our "Papa Duck" (Jim, the program coordinator!) and avoided the craziness of the processions. We got a tour of the Alcazar, the oldest palace still in use in Spain, and its botanical gardens. Being the nerd I am, I soaked up all the historical facts about the place and envisioned myself as a royal of the past. I loved the Moorish influence with all the artwork, it's breathtakingly beautiful and intricate! I can't begin to describe it all, but it is something you must see in your life. We got food/ice cream and then I rested (still enferma!) and avoided the insanity of the Holy Week celebrations.

Last stop was Córdoba, a small place in the South with a larger Jewish influence than other places. They are home to the famous Mezquita which has a very curious mix of Moorish, Jewish, and Christian influences in its architecture, decor, and holy relics. It's a hodgepodge of religion and power, and very fascinating. I was clutching my guidebook the whole time reading up on the facts of the place contemplating my own smallness! But on the other hand, I see that I have my own place in history/time, and its crazy that God actually thinks something of me! It's such a mind-blowing concept...I'm reading "Crazy Love" and realizing the magnitude of just how absurd and awe-inspiring it is that he cares for me!
So, after exploring the town with Molly and being all touristy at the Mezquita, we had our 6 hour ride back to Madrid and today has been a lazy day of taking care of "business" stuff, laundry (no dryer= takes FOREVER to do!) and planning the remainder of my time in Spain!

Going on a day trip to Toledo tomorrow with some fun ladies, very excited to see yet another gem of Spain. ^_^

~Danielle

Quote of the day (yesterday):
As we're walking across a bridge, I point to my map and say "Oh, here we are, on the Roman Bridge" Molly says "ohhhhh, that's why it looks so, Roman-y!" Bravo Molly. Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment