Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Días largos y llenos!

Well, I don't have to worry much about staying in shape, even with all the jamón y queso, because I've been walking ALL over the city ALL day this week!
Sunday was awesome, I got up (semi)early to get coffee with Katie, my Spanish TA, and we had a great talk over café con leche and then went to Amistad Cristiana, a Spanish-speaking Christian church that meets in a night club, bringing back memories of my "hometown" church in Corona when we used to meet in an old movie theater! I absolutely loved singing praise songs in Spanish alongside international brothers and sisters, lifting up our voices with the same heart and same love for God despite our different languages and cultures...! I understood everything during praise and praying, which was a miracle because there was no slowing down or help for Americans here! Ironically, a guy asked me in Spanish if the seat next to me was taken and when I didn't catch what he said at first, he introduced himself in English as a student from Boston. Even funnier is that his program is in the same building as mine, so I saw him at school Monday too! Go figure I visit an obscure Spanish church and run into an American from my institute.
Oh wait, there's more:
After the service, of which I caught the gist (ps, hoping this place helps my comprehension as a side-benefit!), Katie introduced me to some other young adults (older twenties mostly) and when I told an English speaking girl that I was from Southern California, she said "me too, I'm from Fullerton, how about you?" I just about fell over! WHO could guess that I would meet a fellow Fullertonian at a small church in a dingy building on the other side of the globe?! She studied abroad when she was my age and came back a couple years ago and loves it there. It was such a freaky coincidence, it stayed in my mind all day. I wonder if there's any future significance of that... :)
Afterward, got Indian food with some fun ladies and then Judy and I went shopping for almost 6 hours. WOW my feet hurt after that day...! Didn't go crazy with the buying, mostly poked my head around but there will definitely be more shopping days!
Monday was packed and I got to help with my kids again. They are awesome but a handful, so M/W are tiring. I had a great night, despite learning of the insane prices of flights to Sevilla for my Morocco trip, but today found a bus company for cheaper that will work out. So I'm all set for my trip next month!
Today was the most packed I've had in a while, I had a test in the morning, grocerie shopping during lunch break, another class, then visited the Palacio Real de Madrid (Royal Palace, it was stunning!) and the Museo de la Ciudad with my class, back to back visits! Not only that, but now I'm supposed to be studying for another test tomorrow and have my internship at the kids' school again. Yikes! We were all so exhausted and ready to go home at the museum, but now I feel so well-cultured (aka nerdy!).

Hasta Luego,
~Danielle

(SHOUT OUT to my little sister: It's midnight here, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNA! I LOVE YOU!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment